Roadcraft: The Police Driver’s Handbook and Motorcycle Roadcraft: The Police Rider’s Handbook are produced following sustained consultation with experts in the theory and practice of advanced driving.
A Standing Advisory Board consisting of representatives from major police and civilian driving organisations, supported by a dedicated group of Reflective Practitioners from the police driving schools, fire and rescue and ambulance services help to ensure the handbooks are fully revised to:
- Reflect the latest legal, technological, economic, behavioural and environmental changes.
- Reflect the needs of other emergency services (such as the use of larger vehicles).
- Align with Driving Standards Agency (DSA) and European Standards.
- Incorporate a modular format to reflect the College of Policing Driver Training Learning Programme descriptors.
The Standing Advisory Board and Reflective Practitioners' contributions to the editorial and updating process have been invaluable.
Standing Advisory Board (as at 2017)
- Rick Muir, Director, The Police Foundation (Chair)
- Michael Cleary, former Head of Specialist Training, Scottish Police College
- John Dale, Operational Lead Driving School, Metropolitan Police
- Lisa Dorn, Reader in Driver Behaviour, Driving Research Group, Cranfield University
- Paul Helbing, Assistant Chief Driving Examiner, Driving Standards Agency (DSA)
- Ian Holden, Senior Education Advisor, Driving Standards Agency (DSA)
- Peter Rodger, Chief Examiner and Head of Driving Standards, Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM)
- Helen Schofield, Head of Learning Strategy and Development, College of Policing
- Bob Smalley, Chief Examiner, Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) Advanced Drivers and Riders
Reflective Practitioners (as at 2017)
- Matt Bowden, Driver Training Unit, Devon and Cornwall Police
- Byron Chandler, Senior Driving Instructor, Gloucestershire Constabulary
- Michael Collins, Traffic Law and Collision Investigation Trainer, West Yorkshire Police
- Kevin Day, Driver Training Manager, West Midlands Fire and Rescue Service
- Kevin Dell, Driving Centre Manager, Oxfordshire/Buckinghamshire Fire and Rescue Services
- Chris Gilbert, Advanced Driving Instructor/Examiner, Metropolitan Police
- Paul Jones-Roberts, Head of Driving Standards, North West Ambulance Service
- Neil McLeod, Roads Policing Training, Scottish Police College
- Paul Mostyn, Metropolitan Police Motorcycle Tasking Team/BikeSafe-London
- Peter Rodger, Head of Driving Advice, IAM
- Mervyn Turner, Head of Driver Training, North Wales Police
- Richard Whitehouse, Senior Motorcycle Instructor, Devon and Cornwall Police
The production of the handbooks is also supported by an Editorial and Project Management Board:
- Barbara MacDonald, Freelance writer
- Catherine Saunders, Communications Officer, The Police Foundation
- David Bryan, Senior Commissioning Editor, TSO
- Daniel Whittle, Commissioning Editor, TSO
- Lisa Daniels, Client Services Manager, TSO