Roadcraft: The Police Driver’s Handbook (2013) and Motorcycle Roadcraft: The Police Rider’s Handbook (2013) were produced following sustained consultation with experts in the theory and practice of advanced driving.
Over the course of 18 months, a Standing Advisory Board consisting of representatives from major police and civilian driving organisations, supported by a dedicated group of 13 Reflective Practitioners from the police driving schools, fire and rescue and ambulance services have helped to ensure the handbooks are fully revised to:
- Reflect the latest legal, technological, economic, behavioural and environmental changes.
- Reflect the needs of other emergency services (such as the use of larger vehicles).
- Align with Driving Standards Agency (DSA) and European Standards.
- Incorporate a modular format to reflect the College of Policing Driver Training Learning Programme descriptors.
The Standing Advisory Board and Reflective Practitioners' contributions to the editorial and updating process have been invaluable.
Standing Advisory Board
- John Graham, Director, The Police Foundation (Chair)
- Michael Cleary, former Head of Specialist Training, Scottish Police College
- John Dale, Operational Lead Driving School, Metropolitan Police
- Lisa Dorn, Reader in Driver Behaviour, Driving Research Group, Cranfield University
- Paul Helbing, Assistant Chief Driving Examiner, Driving Standards Agency (DSA)
- Ian Holden, Senior Education Advisor, Driving Standards Agency (DSA)
- Peter Rodger, Chief Examiner and Head of Driving Standards, Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM)
- Helen Schofield, Head of Learning Strategy and Development, College of Policing
- Bob Smalley, Chief Examiner, Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) Advanced Drivers and Riders
- Darren Faulds, Inspector, Roads Policing Division, Police Scotland (Chair)
- Byron Chandler, Senior Driving Instructor, Gloucestershire Constabulary
- Michael Collins, Traffic Law and Collision Investigation Trainer, West Yorkshire Police
- Kevin Day, Driver Training Manager, West Midlands Fire Service
- Kevin Dell, Driving Centre Manager, Oxfordshire/Buckinghamshire Fire Rescue Services
- Ady Ellwood, Motorcycle Trainer, West Yorkshire Police
- Chris Gilbert, former Sergeant Instructor, Metropolitan Police Motor Driving School, Hendon
- Malcolm Jackson, Senior Driving Instructor, Hertfordshire Constabulary
- Gary Jane, Senior Driving Instructor, Devon and Cornwall Police
- Paul Mostyn, Metropolitan Police Motorcycle Tasking Team/BikeSafe-London
- Andy Reid, Head of Driver Training and Development, East of England Ambulance Service NHS Trust
- Mervyn Turner, Head of Driver Training, North Wales Police
- Richard Whitehouse, Car Instructor/Senior Motorcycle Instructor, Devon and Cornwall Police
The production of the new handbooks was also supported by an Editorial and Project Management Board:
- Penny Mares, Educational Author and Editor
- Dr Amie Brown, Senior Research and Development Officer, The Police Foundation
- David Bryan, Commissioning Editor, TSO
- Emily Egle and Lisa Daniels, Client Services Managers, TSO